The Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring, 4th Edition stipulates that all mentors should receive at least two hours of pre-match, in-person training.
After completing the Building Your Mentoring Skills in-person training, mentors will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the roles mentors should and should not play
- Be prepared for the first meeting with their mentees
- Apply the key behaviors of successful mentors to mentoring a youth
- Understand the importance of cultural awareness in mentoring
- Discuss and resolve difficult situations with their mentees
- Understand the importance of a thoughtful, planned mentoring relationship closure
This curriculum includes options of examples and exercises for both community-based and site-based mentoring programs.